The Westminster Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) marked on October 3, 2020 the grave of Lieutenant John Fowler in St. John’s Catholic Church Cemetery, behind the public library in Westminster. The church had previously stood on the property where the library is today. The SAR is dedicated to preserving the memory of our brave Patriot ancestors who fought to establish the United States of America. Some of his descendants still live in Carroll County today, and were represented at the grave marking service. Also attending were members of the societies of the Sons (SAR), the Daughters (DAR), and the Children of the American Revolution (CAR). Chapter Immediate Past President James F. Engler, Sr. served as the emcee for the day’s events. The Maryland SAR Color Guard provided a musket salute followed by Taps being played by Connor Wright of Buglers Across America.
John Fowler lived in the Westminster area during the American Revolution. He was born April 24, 1735 (Old Style) in Baltimore County, the son of Richard Fowler and his wife, born Honour Logsdon (her brother donated the land for the cemetery). John Fowler died February 26, 1823 near Westminster. He and his wife Hannah (who died in 1824 and is buried there also) had a number of children including at least three sons. During the American Revolution, he served as an Ensign in Capt James Wells’ Company of the Linganore Battalion, Frederick Co., MD militia and as a Second Lieutenant in Capt. William Winchester’s and Capt. Jeremiah Spires’ Companies of the same battalion in 1777 and 1778. After the war, he was well-established in the Westminster area, and in 1802 received a land patent of 353 and 5/8 acres called “Lawrence by his Craft”, located less than two miles southeast of the cemetery on Poole Road.